Friday, September 23, 2011

Fun Fact Friday: to the left, to the left.

I've decided to come up with a "Fun Fact Friday" because there are just so many strange and random things that happen here! So every Friday I will try to come up with a new fun fact.

Todays fun fact:

While it is well known that cars drive on the left side of the road here, you may find it strange that everything else functions on the left side as well:

- you walk on the left, not the right, when walking on a side walk
- you swim on the left side of the swim lane and make a clockwise circle instead of swiming on the right side and making a counter clockwise circle
- the bottom flight of a staircase starts on the left side, so the staircase is winding clockwise as opposed to the stairs starting on the right side and winding counter clockwise
- entrance doors are on the left and exit doors are on the right

I wonder if there is a higher population of left handed people in Australia..

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,
    This vacation, I mean.... study abroad, just keeps getting better! Love reading your blog! Seriously want to visit Australia except I know it couldn't come close to experience you are having! Not sure I could deal with the long flight either so I'm totally enjoying every "outback" photo and comment through you! Thanks, miss and love you! Aunt Sharee

    ReplyDelete